Saturday, November 23, 2013

Science or Him?

     "Take everything you think you know about religion and throw it out of the window. This is a science class, and everything here has a scientific explanation.", said my first professor in college.  It was anatomy and physiology.  I had only been baptized a year before. I let the thought enter my head that maybe I had let myself believe in something because I wanted it to be true, not because it was.  However, every day of that class I sat through, my testimony grew. The human body has so many parts working and growing at all times.  If one element is missing, everything stops.  I kept thinking how we are all made with the same parts, like a car, but we have such different and unique personalities.  There's only one logical explanation to this, we have individually made spirits.  
     My daughter taught a family home evening lesson on nature this week.  She spoke about the water cycle, and about trees growing to excrete what we need to breath and vice versa. She said, "Heavenly father made a world that works perfectly, so we can live perfectly."  He made foods of all colors of the rainbow, and plenty of it.  He's given us a habitat beautiful to look at. We can marvel at waterfalls, fall leaves, snow capped mountains, species of all kinds.  That professor would come to class right off the beach.  He had half the puzzle.  He loved the beach. He appreciated being able to go.  He was missing out on his relationship with the creator of all of it, and of him.  I think of him often, and how I missed my chance to introduce him to the creator of science.  
     This world is perfectly created.  We are perfectly created.  Our hearts pump unoxygenated blood through our lungs to oxygenate it before it gets to our brain.  Our kidneys keep what we need and excrete what we don't.  Water is recycled so our food can grow from the ground, and lakes and rivers can be full.  These are just a few of the things we can "see" working for us wherever we turn.  All you have to do is look out the window, or just think about how you are reading this. You can read, you can think, you can interpret...but not like anyone else, because He made you just to be you.  If we didn't have individual spirits, we'd all work like robots. Made of the same parts, but no spirit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment